LUGRo-Mesh Forum (espaņol/english)
March 28, 2024, 04:56:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Nightwing on Nanostation 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nightwing on Nanostation 2  (Read 4041 times)
bmoffitt

« on: February 13, 2009, 08:04:35 pm »

I have installed Nightwing on two Nanostation 2s. I downloaded the 0.6 firmware from http://nightwing.lugro-mesh.org.ar/en/download.html and used the "upgrade firmware" capability under AirOS. It seemed to work perfectly - the node rebooted and I saw two new access points appear.

However, I can't seem to telnet or ssh into it. It took a DHCP address from my router, but there's no response from that address (telnet or ssh).

On the second unit, I had the same experience - I installed, but could not telnet or ssh into 192.168.1.1. However, when I changed the configuration of the ethernet port on my laptop to DHCP, I was able to get a DHCP address and surf the internet.

Any help you can provide in configuring the network will be appreciated.

-Bill Moffitt
San Jose, CA (yes, practically walking distance to Ubiquiti)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

scriado
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:06:14 am »

In mode gateway ( with internet ) nightwing take ip from YOUR LAN DHCP. And if you connect to "secure AP", the ip is 10.x.x.129.
In client mode, the LAN ip is 10.x.x.193.
The x.x is the same of the computer conected to the router. This is calculated from router ETH port.
Ej: If you have 10.45.21.201 in your computer when you use lan port in client mode, the router ip is 10.45.21.193.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:17:48 am by scriado » Report Spam   Logged
JulioCP
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:15:18 am »

I have installed Nightwing on two Nanostation 2s. I downloaded the 0.6 firmware from http://nightwing.lugro-mesh.org.ar/en/download.html and used the "upgrade firmware" capability under AirOS. It seemed to work perfectly - the node rebooted and I saw two new access points appear.

You should have seen the Public AP (lugro-mesh) and the Private AP (lugro-secure).

However, I can't seem to telnet or ssh into it. It took a DHCP address from my router, but there's no response from that address (telnet or ssh).

That should work. In the first boot it takes a longer time to respond to a DHCP request and to a ssh request. To be sure reboot the NS.

On the second unit, I had the same experience - I installed, but could not telnet or ssh into 192.168.1.1.

192.168.1.1 was the IP that your router gave to the NS, right?

If the NS took an IP from your router, you should be able to ssh into it. The default root password is lugro-mesh.

However, when I changed the configuration of the ethernet port on my laptop to DHCP, I was able to get a DHCP address and surf the internet.

You got an IP from the NS? Was it in client mode?
In client mode: Nightwing acts as a DHCP server on the LAN interface.

In GW mode: your Router gives an IP to the Nightwing device. If you connected the NS to a switch, any device connected to that switch will get the IP from your router. In the case that you flashed Nightwing into a device that has more then 1 LAN port, the other ports will act as a switch and get IP directly from your router.

Any help you can provide in configuring the network will be appreciated.

-Bill Moffitt
San Jose, CA (yes, practically walking distance to Ubiquiti)

Saludos, Julio
Report Spam   Logged
bmoffitt

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:23:02 pm »

Tiny bits of information mean so much...

"That should work. In the first boot it takes a longer time to respond to a DHCP request and to a ssh request. To be sure reboot the NS."

Yeah, it took a while, and wanted rebooting. Now I can SSH in.

As I'm wandering through it, I am very impressed - it seems to work very well so far!

I'm very curious about why each node has a separate SSID. I was drawn to Nightwing because I like the general function of Open-Mesh (RoBIn) but, since I want to put in outdoor mesh networks, I want "beefier" radios. Open-mesh, of course, gives each node the same 2 SSIDs, gleaned from the "dashboard" config. This way one can have a degree of "mobility" between nodes - when one passes out of range of one node, the client radio will seek the same SSID and reconnect.

Is there a way to easily tie Nightwing to a "gateway" portal (Orangemesh, open-mesh, etc.)?

Interestingly, Open-mesh has moved entirely to OLSR instead of B.A.T.M.A.N. - any thoughts about that for Nightwing?

Thanks, and I'll stay in touch and share my experiences here.

-Bill "another fine mesh" Moffit
Report Spam   Logged
JulioCP
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:36:17 pm »

Tiny bits of information mean so much...

"That should work. In the first boot it takes a longer time to respond to a DHCP request and to a ssh request. To be sure reboot the NS."

Yeah, it took a while, and wanted rebooting. Now I can SSH in.

In the first boot, after the device is flashed entirely, or just the rootfs or the rootfs_data is erased, mini_fo does its magic and it makes the boot process slower. Then, other boots are faster.

As I'm wandering through it, I am very impressed - it seems to work very well so far!

Thanks.

I'm very curious about why each node has a separate SSID. I was drawn to Nightwing because I like the general function of Open-Mesh (RoBIn) but, since I want to put in outdoor mesh networks, I want "beefier" radios. Open-mesh, of course, gives each node the same 2 SSIDs, gleaned from the "dashboard" config. This way one can have a degree of "mobility" between nodes - when one passes out of range of one node, the client radio will seek the same SSID and reconnect.

This was introduced because we got some reports that said that the Windows OS had problems when it detected 2 AP with an unique SSID (it stucks with the first connected AP and didn't want to connect to the other AP wich was what it should do).

This is been discussed in the development team.

Is there a way to easily tie Nightwing to a "gateway" portal (Orangemesh, open-mesh, etc.)?

Right now we don't use what is call a Dashboard. We use WiFiDog Auth Server to do some tasks that the other software do. We also have content filtering implemented with OpenDNS (this last one and other features are in the next release).

Basically, we are adding features to Nightwing that we are going to use. But leaving the possibility to others to add or subtract what they want to suit their needs.

Interestingly, Open-mesh has moved entirely to OLSR instead of B.A.T.M.A.N. - any thoughts about that for Nightwing?

When we moved to B.A.T.M.A.N., after testing RoofNet, Meraki and a lot of other related projects, we also took a look at OLSR but discard it. It was discarded for technical reasons such as rooting loops problems, protocol overhead, etc; and also for philosophical reasons such as license used, community concept, etc.

Regarding open-mesh.com moving to OLSR and the reasons that I've read, I can only say that I don't share them. The tests we've done and other reports that we had showed us different results.

Thanks, and I'll stay in touch and share my experiences here.

Cool.

To get more info related to the project, you can subscribe to the mailing lists:
http://www.lugro.org.ar/mailman/listinfo/lugro-mesh
http://www.lugro.org.ar/mailman/listinfo/nightwing

-Bill "another fine mesh" Moffit

Saludos, Julio
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum