LUGRo-Mesh Forum (español/english)
April 18, 2024, 11:55:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hi from SussexNetShare...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi from SussexNetShare...  (Read 1674 times)
RichieJarvis

« on: April 16, 2009, 03:51:28 am »

Hi All,

We are a reasonably large community group who started in East Sussex, UK, but have expanded somewhat in the UK (we have over 100 nodes!)  Currently, we are using LocustWorld software, and have been trying to get off this for a long while.  We also started the OpenSourceMesh.org to try and develop our own meshing node software and authentication piece, but unfortunately, no-one had the time to get it off the ground Sad  We do charge for access to the network, but the idea is to charge a very small amount (£6.95), and then give the majority of the fee back to the person providing the internet connection (we call them a 'Node Nanny' - they get £5.50 of the charge.)  The rest goes into trying to improve SnS.

Looks like you guys have come up with the mustard with the LugRoMesh software.  We have found several other projects which meet the grade on the node side, but everyone else wants to keep the auth-system non-OSS or make life difficult.  We want a true Open Source solution end-to-end, something that we can contribute to, and help grow.

If you'll have us, then we would be very very happy to use and hopefully contribute back to the project.

Initial thoughts:

x86 version using Kamikaze x86 (we have alot of old compaq machines that it would be a shame to waste)
OSLR compare to BATMAN for mesh routing

Anyway, its great to find a truly open-source group at last Smiley

Thanks,

Richie Jarvis
SnS Chairman and techie
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

scriado
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:10:39 pm »

Alguno ducho en Ingles que traduzca. Estoy a media máquina hoy y no entendí mucho.
Pido perdon por ello.
Only can say Welcome.
Report Spam   Logged
JulioCP
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:39:15 pm »

Hi All,

Hi

We are a reasonably large community group who started in East Sussex, UK, but have expanded somewhat in the UK (we have over 100 nodes!)  Currently, we are using LocustWorld software, and have been trying to get off this for a long while.  We also started the OpenSourceMesh.org to try and develop our own meshing node software and authentication piece, but unfortunately, no-one had the time to get it off the ground Sad  We do charge for access to the network, but the idea is to charge a very small amount (£6.95), and then give the majority of the fee back to the person providing the internet connection (we call them a 'Node Nanny' - they get £5.50 of the charge.)  The rest goes into trying to improve SnS.

Looks like you guys have come up with the mustard with the LugRoMesh software.  We have found several other projects which meet the grade on the node side, but everyone else wants to keep the auth-system non-OSS or make life difficult.  We want a true Open Source solution end-to-end, something that we can contribute to, and help grow.

If you'll have us, then we would be very very happy to use and hopefully contribute back to the project.

The use that we give to Nightwing is very simple, it allows us to do the installation of the nodes as simple as posible for non techies. With WiFiDog we "control" the nodes that integrate the mesh and also to register the users. With OpenDNS we do content filtering.

We have to apply some restrictions to the use of the network, because here are regulations that require them.

More info about this things in:

Initial thoughts:

x86 version using Kamikaze x86 (we have alot of old compaq machines that it would be a shame to waste)

We don't have an official x86 version, but we received a .config of OpenWrt for it. This contribution was made by the user kissas (check his posts, but most of them are in spanish). I could coordinate the share of his contribution, so it can be tested deeply.

OSLR compare to BATMAN for mesh routing

Well, we already choose B.A.T.M.A.N.-Experimental Wink But I allways find it usefull to compare them.

Anyway, its great to find a truly open-source group at last Smiley

Thanks,

Thank you.

Richie Jarvis
SnS Chairman and techie

Saludos, Julio
Report Spam   Logged
kissas

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:20:44 pm »

Julio if you want the x86 image just tell me.
as you see before its not perfect (nw_check permission problem.) but its working.
welcome RichieJarvis.
Report Spam   Logged
iansalmon

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:46:19 am »

Hi all!! Hola!!

I am another of the SussexNetShare co founders and have had a few chats with Julio in the past at www.OpenSourceMesh.org!

Good to be able to test and try Nightwing!  Smiley

I try and learn Spanish! Reading your forum is a challenge......

One of our other gents Philip (of Robix fame! He ported the open-mesh onto x-86) would love i am sure to have sight  of x86 image, if it possible Kissas. We have a lot of compaqs and dells available to flash. We have well over 100 operational community hotspots active now.We are in several towns and villages and are all non-profit.

If we can get wifidog sorted we certainly can have quite a few nightwing nodes up in days!

Saludos,

Ian from the Uk

www.sussexnetshare.net
Report Spam   Logged
JulioCP
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:54:19 am »

Julio if you want the x86 image just tell me.
as you see before its not perfect (nw_check permission problem.) but its working.
welcome RichieJarvis.

Yes, send it to me and the .config. But first, if you can add execution permision to nw_check and compile it again. When I tried to compile it, I didn't had that problem.

Also, if you did something else that it's not in our documentation for compiling, please send it to me so I can add it to the doc.

Saludos, Julio
Report Spam   Logged
JulioCP
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 10:03:21 am »

Hi all!! Hola!!

I am another of the SussexNetShare co founders and have had a few chats with Julio in the past at www.OpenSourceMesh.org!

Good to see you here Smiley

Good to be able to test and try Nightwing!  Smiley

I try and learn Spanish! Reading your forum is a challenge......

One of our other gents Philip (of Robix fame! He ported the open-mesh onto x-86) would love i am sure to have sight  of x86 image, if it possible Kissas. We have a lot of compaqs and dells available to flash. We have well over 100 operational community hotspots active now.We are in several towns and villages and are all non-profit.

That would be great, we don't have any x86 device to test it. So the more tests it has, the better. You can contact him by PM and request a copy of the image. I think that we can put the image available in our website, too.

If we can get wifidog sorted we certainly can have quite a few nightwing nodes up in days!

That would be great.

Saludos,

Ian from the Uk

www.sussexnetshare.net

Saludos, Julio
Report Spam   Logged
RichieJarvis

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 02:29:38 pm »

Hi Again - thanks for replying - sorry I didn't reply back - RealLife has got in the way recently!

Anyway - we are still very interested in Nightwing for our network - I've finally got around to getting Wifidog up and working now - just trying to flash a couple of nodes now Smiley

Look forward to seeing you around...

Thanks,

Richie
Report Spam   Logged
JulioCP
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 05:05:20 pm »

Hi Again - thanks for replying - sorry I didn't reply back - RealLife has got in the way recently!

Hi, welcome back Smiley

Anyway - we are still very interested in Nightwing for our network - I've finally got around to getting Wifidog up and working now - just trying to flash a couple of nodes now Smiley

Look forward to seeing you around...

Looks like you have like 7 nodes up Wink

Thanks,

Richie

Saludos, Julio
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum